Centura Health connects individuals, families and neighborhoods across Colorado and western Kansas with more than 19,400 of the most talented hearts and minds in medicine.
Penrose-St. Francis Health Services is a full-service, 522-bed acute care provider in Colorado Springs comprised of Penrose Hospital and St. Francis Medical Center. Penrose Hospital serves as the anchor hospital of Penrose-St. Francis Health Services with 364-licensed beds and the ability to provide tertiary (high tech) medical-surgical services with an emphasis on elective and outpatient care. Established in 1890, Penrose Hospital has grown to become a major health treatment and referral center, specializing in cancer care, cardiac care, emergency trauma care and physical rehabilitation. In 2008 we opened St. Francis Medical Center to keep pace with the growing needs of the Colorado Springs’ community on the north side of the city. St. Francis Medical Center features 172-beds and offers a modern Birth Center, Level IIIA Neonatal Intensive Care Unit, Pediatric Care Unit, Emergency Department, Level III Trauma Center, Imaging Services, Surgical Services, and Critical Care Unit. It is also serves as Southern Colorado’s home base for the Flight For Life® Colorado air medical helicopter service. It’s an incredible time to join us as we celebrate our sixth consecutive year as one of “America’s 50 Best Hospitals” by Healthgrades and recent Magnet Hospital designation from the American Nurses Credentialing Center (ANCC) for superior quality in nursing care. With 300+ days of annual sunshine, mild winters and easy access places like Pikes Peak, Garden of the Gods and some of Colorado’s top destination resorts, you will enjoy an incredible lifestyle while having the career you’ve always wanted. For more information about Penrose – St. Francis Health Services, visit http://www.penrosestfrancis.org/.
This full-time day position will prepare tissue for gross and/or microscopic examination by pathologist.
- Practices strict adherence to laboratory safety and infection control policies.
- Processes tissue specimens for microscopic examination and diagnosis by using appropriate, predetermined methods for fixing, embedding, sectioning, staining and mounting.
- Prepares tissues for gross examination. Assists pathologist in dictation and dissection of tissues. Assures the best possible diagnostic interpretation by verifying proper identification and handling of all specimens received by Histology department.
- Prepares reagents and stains to meet departmental quality standards.
- Maintains accurate patient information, accession numbers and records on all surgical, autopsy and bone marrow specimens. Maintains filing system for rapid and accurate retrieval of all blocks and slides.
- Maintains equipment used for tissue processing and staining, performing troubleshooting and minor maintenance and repair.
- Adheres to budget guidelines set forth by supervisor
- Maintains open communication with supervisor, pathologist and co-workers to ensure optimal operation of department.
- Maintains high level of proficiency and current knowledge through continuing education and other means. Willingly shares information and assists in the clinical orientation of new employees or students